Would you like to improve your margins and make more profit?
Become a WHSmith Local store
Business partnership with a long term relationship
What is the WHSmith Local franchise?
Why WHSmith Local?
Don’t take our word for it, listen to what our franchisees think of WHSmith Local
Improved cost prices, margins and profits
What is the WHSmith Local Franchise?
WHSmith have created the WHSmith Local branded franchise exclusively for
existing and new CTN/newsagent and Post Office business owners. You’ll get support and advice on the best way to develop your business, discover new opportunities and help you to build on your own expertise. WHSmith Local offers excellent cost of goods that will generate increased profit for you, and add to your sales and margin with the introduction of additional and WHSmith exclusive products.
Our franchisees claim that we’ve transformed their businesses
WHSmith Local is proving very successful in the stores that have opened. The WHSmith Local franchise model reduces retailers’ reliance on the traditional core categories of tobacco, news and confectionery and changes the sales mix to much higher margin categories of stationery and greeting cards. This is delivering a more profitable and sustainable business for our franchisees. Here’s what some of our franchisees have said:
“The WHSmith Local franchise has enabled me to keep my independence whilst benefitting from an instantly recognisable and trusted brand over my door.”
SHAILESH PATEL – CLAPHAM
“I am seeing a big improvement in sales since going the WHSmith Local route with big growth in high margin areas like stationery”
ASHWIN PATEL – ROYAL WOOTON BASSETT
“Since we converted to the WHSmith Local concept our sales and profits are increasing, we are on a busy high street and the WHSmith Local brand has helped to attract new customers”
DEE SHARMA – CARDIFF
- Improved cost prices, margins and profit
- Free delivery
- EPOS system for order placement and sales analysis
- Exclusive products
- Seasonal ranges
- Dedicated promotional program
- WHSmith Local Branding
- Point of Sale
- WHSmith Uniforms
- Induction and Ongoing
- Dedicated Business Development Manager
- Regular Business Reviews – sales and profit planning
Franchisee sales, margin & profit
In stores that have opened so far we have seen:
- Sales increases of between 5% and 60%
- Annualised profit increases of between 25% and 95%
- Improvement in Gross Margins from industry average of c.23% to between 32% and 52%
- Payback of initial investment in average of 15 months
Store selection criteria
- c. £250,000 store turnover – or potential to achieve this
- Minimum of c.500 sq ft retail space or minimum of 15 x 1m drops of space
- Pass Credit Checks
- Owner willing to work in partnership to develop and grow business
- Subject to Demographic assessment and distance from existing stores
- Not convenience range dominated (or willing to change)
What happens now?
- Contact us on the number or email address below
- We will arrange a visit to discuss the opportunity and answer your questions
- Once you have registered your interest, you will need to provide details so that we can carry out credit checks etc.
- If we accept your application, there will be a planning meeting to review your store space and equipment
- At this stage we’ll ask you to provide existing sales data by category and SKU. We’ll use this information to propose a new layout, equipment and ranging to maximise your business potential
- Before your store refit, you will need to take our Franchise Induction Training so you’ll be fully prepared to open your WHSmith Local